Downhill Skiing and Snowboarding Courses for College Credit
Greek Peak Mountain Resort offers ski and snowboard instructional programs to students of all ability levels, beginner through expert. You’ll have fun while learning or improving . . . and get College credit at the same time. The course runs for six (6) consecutive weeks on Monday evening starting 1/28/2013 and ending 3/4/2013. It is important that your schedule permits attendance on this night throughout the season.
Transportation, instruction, lift fees, and on-hill practice time are offered in a package deal through the Recreation, Parks & Leisure Studies Department.
You must register with the RPLS Dept. and Greek Peak.
You may register with the RPLS Dept. during pre-registration or up until the first class meeting. Be sure to register for the section you need (one section includes equipment rental and the other section is for students who will supply their own equipment). . This course will be bursared through SUNY Cortland.
Check with the RPLS Dept.
The lift tickets issued to course participants are limited to the 5 hr. period from 4:00 – 9:00 pm on Mondays.
Course will be invoiced to your college account.
All students who sign up for this course are responsible for checking their college e-mail accounts for messages. Communications like class cancellations will be emailed to you. Please check for your messages the day before and the day of your class.
When is the program:
The course runs for six (6) consecutive weeks on Monday evenings beginning January 28, 2013. It is important that your schedule permits attendance on this night throughout the season.
The bus will leave promptly at 3:35 pm from the Park Center. Please be on time.
When you arrive at Greek Peak, you will be met by a college representative in the Katalima who will take attendance and give out lift tickets and a rental vouchers if needed. If you do not ride the bus, you will register your attendance by showing your College ID Card and picking up your lift ticket and rental voucher (if needed) at the Ticket Booth in the Katalima Building across from the Welcome Center.
Attendance and Lessons:
To receive credit, you must attend five (5) lessons (including a maximum of two (2) make up lessons). You must attend one (1) of the first two scheduled lessons to continue your enrollment in course. If you arrive at Greek Peak by bus, you will be met by a college representative who will take attendance and give out lift tickets and a rental vouchers if needed. If you drive to Greek Peak you must go to the Ticket Window in the Katalima building (across from the Welcome Center), show your college ID card, and state that you are participating in the College Credit Ski/Snowboard Program. Your attendance will be recorded and you will receive a lift ticket and rental pass (if needed). Failure to sign in could result in an “absent” for the lesson and affect your grade.
Lessons for All Ability Levels will be at 4:30pm at the Lesson Meeting Spot located next to the Alpha Slope (Beginner’s chair). Please be there by 4:20pm.
Be sure to dress warmly. Outer clothing should be windproof and snow shedding. It is better to over dress and shed additional layers than to lack the appropriate clothing.
Make up Lesson Policy:
Except for extenuating circumstances requiring college advisor’s approval, the following pertain:
To receive college credit and a passing grade, you must;
1) Attend at least one (1) of the first two (2) scheduled lessons
2) Attend a total of five (5) lessons (this can include a maximum of two (2) make up lessons)
3) A make up lesson may be completed on your scheduled lesson day and must be completed no later than the last day of your college’s program as listed below.
1) A make-up lesson can be performed before or after a missed lesson.
2) Bus transportation is not provided to attend make up lessons.
Make up Lesson Schedule:
The opportunity to perform a make up lesson will start on 2/18/2013 and end on 3/4/2013.
Mondays All Levels 7:00pm
Tuesdays All Levels 7:00pm
Fridays All Levels 5:30pm
Saturdays All Levels 4:30pm
Sundays All Levels 4:30pm
Make up Lesson Procedure:
All make-up lessons must be scheduled in advance. Greek Peak reserves the right to refuse a make-up lesson that is not scheduled in advance.
The following procedure must be used for all make up lessons:
1) Email SkiandRide@greekpeak.net to inform Kim of your intention to make up a lesson. Give your name, college, student ID and the make up lesson that you plan to attend.
2) Go to the Greek Peak Ticket Window, state your intent to perform a make up lesson, present your College ID and sign in on the Make up Lesson Register. You will be given a lift ticket, rental pass (if needed) and a make up card.
3) Fill out the make up card with your name, college, college ID and date. Then, go to your regular lesson meeting place.
4) Give your make up card to your make up lesson instructor and enjoy your lesson.
Course Fee Reduction Policy
It is the policy of Greek Peak Mountain Resort that no reduction of course fees will be given for withdrawals (from the course) which occur after your college’s DROP deadline.
A consideration will be given for medical conditions (occurrences) that prevent an enrollee from participating in or completing their ski/snowboard program. The consideration is as follows:
- Anyone seeking a course fee reduction must send a letter of request, including medical documentation of illness / injury (physician’s statement or hospital report, containing diagnosis and treatment), to Greek Peak Mtn. Resort, Attn: George Brechbiel, 2000 NYS Rte. 392, Cortland, NY 13045, by March 1, 2013
- The reduced fee (amount charged) will be a prorated portion of course fees (lesson and rental fees) based on the number of program weeks remaining after the occurrence date of the medical condition preventing participation, less a $5 processing fee.
- The full course fee will be charged if withdrawal occurs after completion of a 5th lesson.