College Course for Skiing and Snowboarding
Cornell students can take a downhill skiing or snowboarding course at Greek Peak Mountain Resort and receive college credit. Greek Peak offers instructional programs to students of all ability levels, beginner through expert. You’ll have fun while learning or improving…and get PE credit at the same time.
The courses run for six (6) consecutive weeks on the same day/time, starting on Friday, Jan. 24 2014. Other course starting dates are: Saturday, Jan. 25 and Sunday, Jan. 26. There are no classes on Feb. 14, 15, 16. It is important that your schedule permits attendance on this day throughout the season because you must attend five (5) of the six (6) lessons offered (including a maximum of two (2) make up lessons) to receive college credit. BUS TRANSPORTATION IS AVAILABLE ONLY FOR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY AFTERNOON COURSES. The course includes a Night Lift Ticket, Lesson, and Rentals if needed.
How the Course Works:
Bus transportation is provided by the college.
Swarthout Coach Lines will pickup on campus at two locations: West Campus near the Baker Flag Pole and on North Campus next to RPU. Please be on time. The transportation is only for students who have paid the bus fee at the time of course registration.
Friday Afternoon Courses – West Campus Pickup at 2:30 pm; North Campus Pickup at 2:45pm; Leaves Greek Peak at 9:00pm.
Saturday Afternoon Courses – West Campus Pickup at 12:00pm; North Campus Pickup at 12:15pm; Leaves Greek Peak at 6:30pm
If you arrive at Greek Peak by bus, you will be met by a college representative who will take attendance and give out lift tickets and a rental vouchers if needed. If you drive to Greek Peak you must go to the Ticket Window in the Katalima building (across from the Welcome Center), present your college ID card, and state that you are participating in the College Credit Ski/Snowboard Program. Your attendance will be recorded and you will receive a lift ticket and rental pass (if needed).
Participants lift tickets are valid: Fridays 3:30 – 8:30 pm; Saturdays and Sundays 1:00 – 6:00 pm.
The lesson meeting spot is located next to the Alpha Slope (Beginner’s Chair Lift). If exiting the rental building, proceed directly across metal bridge. Please be there 10 minutes early.
The lesson times are as follows:
- Fridays: Beginner Lessons are 4:00pm; Intermediate and Advanced Lessons are 5:30pm
- Saturdays and Sundays: Beginners Lessons are 1:30pm; Intermediate and Advanced Lessons are 3:00pm
Students must register for the course with both Cornell University’s Physical Education Department and Greek Peak. ADD DEADLINE FOR PE: Friday, Jan. 31. DROP DEADLINE FOR PE: Wednesday, Feb. 5.
To register with Greek Peak, go to the Community Pass online registration system.
Fees and Payment:
Lesson Program (only) $262
Lesson Program with Equipment Rental $338
Lesson Program and Bus $382
Lesson Program and Bus with Equipment Rental $458
Course Changes or Drops:
No refunds will be awarded after the semester’s Drop/Add period. A consideration will be given for medical conditions that prevent the enrollee from completing the course.
Be sure to dress warmly. Outer clothing should be windproof and snow shedding. It is better to over dress and shed additional layers than to lack the appropriate clothing.
All students who sign up for this course are responsible for checking their University e-mail for messages. Communications like class cancellations will be posted here. Please check for your messages the day before and the day of your class.
Except for extenuating circumstances requiring college advisor’s approval, the following must be achieved in order to receive college credit and a passing grade:
- Attend at least one of the first two scheduled lessons.
- Attend a total of five lessons (to include a maximum of two make up lessons)
Make Up Lessons:
A make up lesson may not be completed on your scheduled lesson day and must be completed no later than the last day of your college’s program as listed below.
NOTE: Make-up lessons can be attended before or after a missed lesson. If you purchased transportation with your program, you may ride the bus on your non-scheduled day (Friday or Saturday) to attend a make up lesson.
The opportunity to perform a make up lesson will start after each college’s 4th scheduled lesson and end on each college’s 6th lesson day.
- Mondays All Levels 7:00pm
- Fridays All Levels 7:00pm
- Saturdays All Levels 4:30pm
- Sundays All Levels 4:30pm
Make Up Lesson Procedure:
Upon arrival at Greek Peak, go to the main Ticket Window in the Katalima building to sign in and pick up your lift ticket and rental form, if needed. Students using bus transportation will receive their lift ticket and rental form on the bus. Then, proceed to the Lesson Meeting Spot and explain that you need to take a make up lesson. The instructor will give you a card to fill in with your name, College, Student ID # and Date. Be sure the card has been returned to the Instructor to receive credit for your make up lesson.
It is the policy of Greek Peak Mountain Resort that no refund of course fees will be given for withdrawals (from the course) which occur after your college’s DROP deadline.
A consideration will be given for medical conditions (occurrences) that prevent an enrollee from participating in or completing their ski/snowboard program. The consideration is as follows:
- Anyone seeking a refund must send a letter of request, including medical documentation of illness / injury (physician’s statement or hospital report, containing diagnosis and treatment), to Greek Peak Mtn. Resort, Attn: Mary Gerlach, 2000 NYS Rte. 392, Cortland, NY 13045, by March 1, 2014.
- The amount refunded or charged will be a prorated portion of course fees (lesson and rental fees) based on the number of program weeks remaining after the occurrence date of the medical condition preventing participation. The bus transportation charge ($120), if purchased with the course fee, is not refundable.
- All refunds will be issued in the form a credit card “credit” or check for the equivalent of the unused services of Greek Peak, less Greek Peak’s $5.00 processing fee and Cornell P.E.’s $20 service fee.
- There will be no refund of course fees if withdrawal occurs after the completion of a 5th lesson.