To register for the SUNY Cortland College Ski or Snowboard course, you will need to go to the following site:
College Courses for Skiing and Snowboarding
SUNY Cortland students can take a downhill skiing or snowboarding course at Greek Peak Mountain Resort and receive college credit. Greek Peak offers instructional programs to students of all ability levels, beginner through expert. You’ll have fun while learning or improving and get college credit at the same time.
The course runs for six (6) consecutive weeks on Monday evenings at Greek Peak starting 1/25/2016 and ending 2/29/2016. The course includes a 5 hour pass (4-9pm), 1 ¾ hour lesson, and rentals if needed, offered in a package deal through the Recreation, Parks & Leisure Studies Department. It is important that your schedule permits attendance on this night throughout the season.
How the Course Works
When you arrive at Greek Peak, you will be met by a Greek Peak representative who will take attendance and make announcements. All students will receive their College PE Photo ID card at their first class/session. This card must be worn on your jacket for every class as this serves as your lift ticket/rental pass. If you drive to Greek Peak, you will go to the College Program Ticket Window in the Katalima building (across from the Welcome Center), present your college ID card, and state that you are participating in the College Credit Ski/Snowboard Program to pick up your College PE Photo ID card. Each week thereafter, you will go to the same window to check in to verify your attendance.
The lesson meeting spot is located next to the Alpha Slope (Beginner’s Chair Lift). Please be there 10 minutes early.
The lesson times are as follows:
- Beginner Lessons are at 4:30pm
- Intermediate or Advanced Lessons are at 6:30pm
Students must register for the course with both the College’s RPLS Dept. and Greek Peak. You may register with the RPLS Dept. during pre-registration or up until the first class meeting. Be sure to register for the section you need: REC 111 Snowboarding or REC 112 Skiing. This course will be bursared through SUNY Cortland.
To register with Greek Peak, go to: https://sales.greekpeak.net When you register with Greek Peak you will be able to select the option of renting equipment.
Fees and Payment:
The course will be invoiced to your college account. Costs are as follows:
- Program & Bus Transportation- $242
- Program & Bus Transportation with Rental Equipment (skis, poles & boots or snowboard & boots)- $318
You have the option of renting a helmet through Greek Peak at a cost of $40.32, including taxes/fees, which is paid for at the registration site.
Be sure to dress warmly. Outer clothing should be windproof and waterproof. It is better to over dress and shed additional layers than to lack the appropriate clothing.
All students who sign up for this course are responsible for checking their college e-mail accounts for messages. Communications like class cancellations will be emailed to you. Please check for your messages the day before and the day of your class.
The following must be achieved in order to receive college credit this course:
- Attend at least one of the first two scheduled lessons.
- Attend a total of five lessons (to include a maximum of two make up lessons).
Make Up Lessons
A make up lesson may not be completed on your scheduled lesson day and must be completed no later than the last day of your college’s program as listed below.
NOTE: Make-up lessons can be attended before or after a missed lesson. Bus transportation is not provided to attend make up lessons.
The opportunity to perform a make up lesson will start on 2/27/2015 and end on 3/8/2015.
- Thursdays All Levels 12:00 pm
- Fridays All Levels 6:30 pm
- Saturdays All Levels 3:30pm
- Sundays All Levels 3:30pm
Make Up Lesson Procedure:
Upon arrival at Greek Peak, go to the College Program Ticket Window in the Katalima building to sign in and pick up your lift ticket. You must present your Greek Peak College PE photo ID card to pick up your lift ticket. If you are renting equipment, your card will be scanned and you will be issued a rental ticket and can go directly to the preferred line in the Rental area. Then, proceed to the Lesson Meeting Spot and explain that you need to take a make up lesson. The instructor will give you a card to fill in with your name, College, Student ID # and Date. Be sure the card has been returned to the Instructor to receive credit for your make up lesson.
Course Fee Reduction Policy
It is the policy of Greek Peak Mountain Resort that no reduction of course fees will be given for withdrawals (from the course) which occur after your college’s DROP deadline.
A consideration will be given for medical conditions (occurrences) that prevent a participant from completing their ski/snowboard program. The consideration is as follows:
- Anyone seeking a course fee reduction must send a letter of request, including medical documentation of illness / injury (physician’s statement or hospital report, containing diagnosis and treatment), to Attention: Mary Gerlach; Greek Peak Mountain Resort, 2000 NYS Rte. 392, Cortland, NY 13045, by March 1, 2016
- The reduced fee (amount charged) will be a prorated portion of course fees (lesson and rental fees) based on the number of program weeks remaining after the occurrence date of the medical condition preventing participation, less a $10 processing fee.
- The full course fee will be charged if withdrawal occurs after completion of a 5th lesson.